Continued from Page 3
I was wrong!!! Once I sat on the floor beside the Riva with the O² sensor in hand, it became obvious that the Ecotrons requirements were more of a challenge than what I had previously anticipated. I reread the installation manual carefully, and what they say is that the sensor cannot be vertical, it has to be tilted at least 15 degrees from vertical, but no more than 85 degrees. Also the sensor should be between 3 and 4 inches downstream from the exhaust port. So to put it simply, it is impossible to fulfill all those requirements in the Riva. I finally came to the conclusion that the only place where there is enough room to place the sensor at an acceptable angle is about 12 inches downstream of the exhaust port. The reason they want it to be relatively close to the exhaust port is that the exhaust gases close to the engine head are still hot enough to help the heating element inside the sensor. So I figured with all the tupperware and other elements around the exhaust pipe, it will not be cooled as fast as if it was a chrome pipe placed right in front of a naked bike. And if worse comes to worst and the exhaust gases are too cold at that point, I can still wrap the pipe like the old school chopper guys do, so as to keep the gases hotter for longer.
So I played around until I was satisfied with the placement of the sensor. I measured the angle from vertical using the Clinometer app on my Iphone, and the best I could do was 18 degrees from vertical.
Then I outlined the hole on the exhaust pipe using some nail polish, and drilled a hole using the biggest drill bit I had, then enlarged the hole with a Dremel and a grinding wheel.
Now it's very important to make the following statement very clear before we continue. I am not a welder. (I only play one on TV.) If it wasn't obvious before, it is very obious to me from now on! So keep your comments about the quality of my welds to yourselves!
So I used my little 85 amp welder and some flux cored wire I had to tack the nut that serves as threadolet on the exhaust pipe over the hole. By making only two small tacks on either sides longitudinally, I was able to place the exhaust back on the Riva and carefully adjust the angle relative to vertical. Before I began welding I coated the threads and the supplied bolt with a paste (I don't know the name, it was given to me in a small jar) that will prevent the spatter from the welding process to stick on the treads.
This is the sensor in place with only two small welding tacks. Looking good!
Now all I have to do is finish welding it, and paint it.
A little anti-seize paste on the threads of the O² sensor, and it's time to install it on the muffler.
This is the sensor in place. It looks like it's pretty vulnerable there, but with the right body panel in place, it will be fairly protected, but I am thinking about making a little shield for it anyway.
Next step will be the fuel tank.
Continued on Page 5